Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Update On Canadian Citizen Tortured And Falsely Accused Of Terrorrism

Tortured Canadian Wins Battle for Truth

Four years after he was detained as a suspected terrorist, Maher Arar's name has finally been cleared
by Anne McIlroy

Read the entire article at:

Four years ago, Canadian Maher Arar was detained on a routine airport stopover in the United States. He ended up Syria, where he was imprisoned and tortured for 10 months. When he was released by the Syrians and returned to Canada, he started asking how he had been targeted as an Islamist terrorist. His search for answers has made him into a national celebrity, and is likely to end with an apology from the prime minister himself.

Late last month, a public inquiry cleared him of any connection to terrorism and criticised the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) for feeding American officials misleading information about him.

Last week, RCMP commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli finally offered Mr Arar a full apology: "I wish to take this opportunity to express publicly to you and to your wife and to your children how truly sorry I am for whatever part the actions of the RCMP may have contributed to the terrible injustices that you experienced and the pain that you and your family endured."

Mr Justice Dennis O'Connor, who led the public inquiry, found that the police had passed faulty intelligence reports to US authorities that had "very likely" led to his arrest at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York, and the beginning of Mr Arar's nightmare. He couldn't say for sure because the Americans refused to participate in the inquiry.

Based on the flimsiest of evidence - the fact that he was an acquaintance of a man the Americans suspected of being a terrorist - the RCMP told American officials that Mr Arar was suspected of links to Al-Qaida.

They continued to feed questions about him to his Syrian captors, even as Canada's foreign affairs minister was working to get him out of the dark, narrow Syrian jail cell Mr Arar called "the grave."

Even after the Syrians released Mr Arar finding no evidence of terrorist links, the RCMP ran a smear campaign, leaking details to reporters about a "confession" Mr Arar had made while he was being tortured.

Judge O'Connor also reported that the RCMP had not been straight with government officials about its role.

The House of Commons has also apologised to Mr Arar.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is expected to do so once the government reaches a financial settlement with Mr Arar, who suffers from depression and post-traumatic stress syndrome as a result of his ordeal.

The 36-year-old software engineer has had trouble controlling his emotions following the release of Judge O'Connor's report, breaking down into tears during a number of media interviews.

Critics have called for the commissioner of the RCMP to resign, for the officers involved to be disciplined, for the Canadian officials who dealt so callously with Mr Arar to be held accountable.

Through his persistence, and that of his wife, they have seen how the powers of the state were abused in the panic and fear that followed the September 11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

He is now a national celebrity, his face and his story splashed across the front pages of newspapers and leading the evening news.

Summarized by Copernic Summarizer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.