Scroll to the bottom to see who made the following statements.
1. "Never walk away from someone who deserves help; your hand is God's hand for that person. Don't tell your neighbor "Maybe some other time" or "Try me tomorrow" when the money's right there in your pocket. Don't figure ways of taking advantage of your neighbor when he's sitting there trusting and unsuspecting. "
2. "Here are six things God hates, and one more that he loathes with a passion:
- eyes that are arrogant,
- a tongue that lies,
- hands that murder the innocent,
- a heart that hatches evil plots,
- feet that race down a wicked track,
- a mouth that lies under oath,
- a troublemaker in the family. "
3. " The world of the generous gets larger and larger; the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller. The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped.
Curses on those who drive a hard bargain!
Blessings on all who play fair and square! "
4. "This is the kind of fast day I'm after:
to break the chains of injustice,
get rid of exploitation in the workplace,
free the oppressed,
What I'm interested in seeing you do is:If you get rid of unfair practices,
sharing your food with the hungry,
inviting the homeless poor into your homes,
putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad,
being available to your own families.
Do this and the lights will turn on,
and your lives will turn around at once.
Your righteousness will pave your way.
The God of glory will secure your passage.
Then when you pray, God will answer.
You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.'
quit blaming victims,
quit gossiping about other people's sins,
If you are generous with the hungry
and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out,
Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness,
your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight.
I will always show you where to go.
I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places—
firm muscles, strong bones.
You'll be like a well-watered garden,
a gurgling spring that never runs dry.
You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew,
rebuild the foundations from out of your past.
You'll be known as those who can fix anything,
restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate,
make the community livable again. "
Who spouted this radical, leftist, socialist rhetoric advocating spreading the wealth?
1. Proverbs 3:27-28
2. Proverbs 6:16-19
3. Proverbs 11:24-26
4. Isaiah 58:6-12
Did you guess right?
Radical stuff, I know. Certainly not the stuff that "Joe The Plumber" wants to hear, or does he?
So the next time that someone accuses you of being a leftist, liberal who supports the "redistribution of wealth" know that you are in pretty good company.
In the following video New Republic Editor-at-Large Peter Beinart gives his take on Barack Obama's "vision" for the United States, and discusses its relation to American liberalism as a whole.
* bible passages are from "The Message" Bible translation
P.S. I'm NOT Joe the Plumber and he's not my role model.